Our Areas of Practice
Getting a speeding ticket in Miami is never fun, but fight the speeding ticket does not have to be difficult and expensive.
- Traffic Tickets
- Traffic Offenses
- Speeding Tickets
- Speeding in a School Zone
- Violation of Traffic Control Device
- Car Accident Citations
- Miami Red Light Camera Locations
- Accident Related Traffic Offenses
- Careless Driving
- Moving Violations
- Red Light Cameras
- Non Moving Traffic Violations
- Toll Violations
- Criminal Traffic Violations
- Suspended License/DWLS
- Habitual Traffic Offenders
- Failure to Appear for a Court Date
- Commercial License
- What’s the Status of Your Traffic Ticket
Request A Free Consultation
Miami-Dade Expressway Toll Lawyer
Now that the Miami-Dade Expressway Authority (MDX) has launched Open Road Tolling (ORT) or Toll-By-Plate, thousands of drivers are finding it easier to get around South Florida. But many drivers are not so happy with the new toll system because of phantom traffic tickets issued in error.
If you have been notified of a SunPass violation after driving on any of the expressways in Miami-Dade County equipped for ORT or Toll-By-Plate, or if you received a ticket based on your license plate number, the law firm of Ferrer Shane, PL, can help.
Our experienced attorneys will work to get your ticket(s) dismissed to avoid the fines and the points on your driving record. Contact our Miami office today about an ORT toll violation on the Gratigny Parkway (SR 924), the Don Shula Expressway (SR 874) or the Snapper Creek Expressway (SR 878).
Open Road Tolling (ORT) Violations
The noble purpose of ORT is to improve traffic flow, reduce driving times, and avoid accidents and long lines at toll booths. By tracking vehicles as they pass certain checkpoints, drivers are only charged for how much they actually use the tollway, rather than charging a flat fee to those who will only drive a few miles.
But any technology-based system has its problems. Our lawyers are anticipating a flood of angry motorists who have been falsely ticketed by the MDX. Tickets are issued in one of two ways:
(1) If you have a SunPass transponder, you can zip through the expressways without ever slowing down for a toll booth. The MDX gantry automatically reads your SunPass and deducts credits — or automatically tickets you if the machine does not recognize your transponder or if you do not have funds in your SunPass account. Every ticket is a new offense, carrying a fine, and 3 points against your license.
(2) If you do not have a SunPass, the gantry will take a digital picture of your license plate and MDX will send you a Toll-By-Plate bill through the mail for the toll, plus surcharges and administrative fees. Failure to pay the bill within the stated time frame will result in a toll violation citation. There are many potential problems with this system: If someone else was driving your car, you get the ticket and it goes on your driving record. You may not receive the initial bill or the ticket if you have changed address or if you were visiting Florida.
Don’t Pay the Ticket!
Call Ferrer Shane, PL, at 305-262-2728 or 888-609-5947 if you have been cited for one or more Open Road Tolling violations, SunPass violations, or toll-by-plate violations. We can represent you in fighting the ticket and preventing the points that could lead to license suspension or license revocation.